There’s something beautiful and remarkable about jewelry and how long this can last with us. If done well, with the right care, you can keep your jewelry safe from the damage caused by everyday wear, for as long as possible. Use this helpful expert’s guide for jewelry care tips to keep the shine and color of every unique piece of jewelry you own.
Why does my jewelry tarnish so quickly?
The most common reason why jewelry tarnishes is its exposure to humidity. There is moisture and sulfur in the air, and this reacts to the metals used in different pieces of jewelry. Other elements such as oil on our hands, or chemical solvents we use, can damage and tarnish a piece of jewelry.
How do I keep my jewelry from tarnishing?
It’s important to be aware of is what can tarnish a piece of jewelry. By knowing this, you can avoid these elements. It’s also important to be aware of where you are storing your jewelry. Just because an engagement ring is in a box, doesn’t mean it’s not exposed to moisture in the air. Following certain care and maintenance procedures will also help you keep your jewelry from tarnishing.
Jewelry Care Tips
There are a few ways to keep your jewelry looking as good as new, for as long as possible. You have to start with how you wear it.
- Don’t let jewelry get wet – Remove your jewelry before you take a shower or wash your hands.
- Don’t let jewelry get oily – The oil on jewelry is where dirt and debris can stick to, and could possibly cause tarnishing and scratches.
- Don’t expose jewelry to chemicals – Avoid letting your jewelry touch anything with chemicals in it. This can be your perfume, lotions, dishwashing soap, or even your hand sanitizer.
- Don’t let jewelry rub against rough surfaces – It can be anything from a steel sponge, rocks, to rough edges, try to avoid letting your engagement ring or wedding ring rub against anything that’s rough. This is specifically for jewelry such as gold and silver, that are made of softer metals.
- Don’t wear jewelry to bed – Just to avoid oil and dirt, or any other elements from damaging your jewelry, avoid wearing this to bed.
How To Store Your Jewelry
Storing your piece of jewelry, whether it’s your rings, necklaces, or earrings, is an important factor to remember for your jewelry care tips. The better your storage is, the longer your jewelry will last looking as good as new.
- Store each piece separately – Different pieces of jewelry can scratch and damage one another when kept in one container together. Keep your pieces of jewelry apart. You can buy specific containers for this or a jewelry box designed with separate pieces.
- Keep jewelry in an airtight container – Keeping the moisture away from your pieces of jewelry is probably one of the most important jewelry care tips on this list. That’s why it’s equally important to buy an airtight container for it. You can even go as far as using vacuum Tupperware containers to store your jewelry.
- Keep jewelry away from the sun – As much as possible, don’t let your jewelry be exposed to sunlight too much. This affects the color, and sometimes, the structure of your jewelry.
- Wipe jewelry clean before storing it – Certain elements, when left on the surface of jewelry for too long, may cause damage. You need to clean your jewelry before storing this.
Jewelry Cleaning Tips
Cleaning your jewelry the right way is also a big factor in our jewelry care tips that will help them looking new for as long as possible. Follow these jewelry care instructions for the best results.
- Soak in Warm Water and Dish Soap – To get rid of oil and dirt, soak your pieces of jewelry in dish soap and warm water for a good 10 to 20 minutes.
- Use a soft brush – To get into the ‘hard to get’ nooks and crannies of jewelry, use a soft brush, like a soft toothbrush, to get as much dirt and oil as possible.
- Wipe with a soft towel – You need to dry your jewelry well after cleaning it. Dry it with a soft towel to get most of the moisture off.
- Let it air dry before storing or wearing – To be 100% sure that you’ve removed all of the moisture after cleaning it, let it air dry for a few minutes.
- Get your jewelry professionally cleaned once a year – It’s always good to have your jewelry professionally cleaned. If you happen to buy it from a jewelry store, you can check if they have free cleaning services. Brillianteers, for example, offer a lifetime annual cleaning service for any jewelry pieces purchased from them.
Practice these different jewelry care tips to get the most out of your engagement ring, necklaces, bracelets, wedding rings, and earrings. You’ll not only keep the quality and look of your pieces of jewelry at their best, but you’ll also be able to maintain their value if you ever want to re-sell them in the future.